If you are a fan of fast food, especially street food, you must have heard this name – PAV BHAJI. If you have not, you are missing something amazing and delicious. Pav bhaji happens to be a famous fast food dish from India. Pav bhaji recipe comprises of thick vegetable curry that is served with soft bread rolls laden in lots of butter. The origin of the pav bhaji recipe was in the state of Maharashtra. Considering the popularity of this dish, many cafes, restaurants, hotels, and food stall throughout the country are selling you lip-smacking pav bhaji recipes in different flavors and variants. You can always visit these cafes and food stalls to relieve your pav bhaji cravings. If not, you can even try a pav bhaji recipe at your home in a safe and hygienic environment.
Before we proceed towards the pav bhaji recipe, let us know more about this extremely delicious street food of Mumbai.
History Of Pav Bhaji:
This delicious dish was originated somewhere in the 1850s. Interestingly, it was used as a fast lunchtime dish for all the textile mill workers in Mumbai. The amazing tastes and combination of flavors then popularized pav bhaji among all the locals. Soon after, this dish became a part of the menus at the restaurants throughout the city. Today, pav bhaji is offered at the outlets from simple hand carts and food stalls to formal restaurants in India as well as abroad.
The popularity of this dish has made many popular chefs release their pav bhaji recipe for people. Today, you can find pav bhaji recipe Sanjeev Kapoor and cook the dish in his style by adding all the necessary ingredients available in your home.
The Combination Of Tangy Spices And Vegetables Available Easily In Your Kitchen:
Today, Pav bhaji has become one of the most popular food items. This delicious combination of different vegetables does not need any special ingredients. Yes, to cook pav bhaji at home, you don’t have to buy extra special ingredients. The recipe for this Indian snack makes the use of all the ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen. At the same time, it is the smartest way using which you can feed all the healthy vegetables to your kids without compromising in terms of taste. Your kids are going to love this dish and they will never get enough of it.
The recipe of pav bhaji is an amalgamation of all the healthy vegetables that you or your kids might not want to eat individually. You can even experiment with this recipe and add the vegetables of your choice. You can also skip a particular vegetable in case if you don’t like it. The most common vegetables used in the preparation of pav bhaji include potatoes, tomatoes, and green peas. Furthermore, you can add or subtract the veggies as per your preference.
The Best Way To Enjoy Pav Bhaji:
The best way to enjoy the recipe of pav bhaji could be any hour of the day. You can include this dish in your breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even your dinner. To add more flavors to this dish, it is recommended to roast the pav buns before serving them on the plate. You can further garnish the bhaji with onions and lemons for extra flavors. Also, the butter will only add richness to this dish.
Nutritional Information Of Pav Bhaji:
You don’t have to worry about your health at all while eating this Indian snack. This is because the below-listed pav bhaji recipe has a great nutritional value. It comprises of 1913 kcal calories in total. Furthermore, the dish is rich in carbohydrates (279.7 grams), protein (35.9 grams), fat (72.3 grams), and potassium (2187 milligrams) respectively.
How To Make Pav Bhaji Recipe?
The most popular Indian chef, Sanjeev Kapoor has finally released a pav bhaji recipe. This recipe is very easy to work on. All you are required to do is to assemble all the ingredients and start working on the same. Here is the pav bhaji recipe Sanjeev Kapoor:
Homemade Pav Bhaji Masala:
Following ingredients are required to cook your homemade pav bhaji masala:
- Coriander seeds – 4 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Dried chilies – 5
- Cloves – 8
- Fennel seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Black cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1, two inches long
- Turmeric powder – 1.5 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper – 2 teaspoons
- Amchur – 1.5 tablespoons
- Ground ginger – ½ teaspoon
- Black salt – 2 teaspoons
Dry roast the coriander seeds, dried red chilies, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, black cardamom, and cinnamon stick in a medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Let these spices cool. Transfer them into a grinder. Add turmeric powder, amchur, ground ginger, ground black better, and black salt. Grind until the preparation is powdered and well-combined. Store this masala in an airtight container at room temperature. You can use this masala whenever you want to cook pav bhaji at home.
If you don’t have enough time to work on pav bhaji masala recipe, fret not! You can buy a readymade pav bhaji masala from your nearby grocery store.
Ingredients Required For Pav Bhaji:
- Pavs – 8
- Boiled and mashed potatoes – 2 cups
- Grated cauliflowers – 3 tablespoons
- Finely chopped capsicum – ¼ cup
- Chopped onions – 1 cup
- Tomato puree – 1 cup
- Peas – ½ cup
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Pav bhaji masala – 1 ½ tablespoon
- Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- A slice of lemon
Directions To Cook:
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add 3/1 cups of chopped onions into the same. Saute. When the onions turn golden, add ginger-garlic paste and saute again.
- Add cauliflower and saute the preparation. Now add mashed potatoes and fresh tomato puree. Mix well. Add ¾ cup of water and cook it for 3-4 minutes.
- Add peas and capsicum and mix the preparation well. Cook for further 3-4 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, salt, and pav bhaji masala. Add lemon juice, and mix.
- Add some butter and mix. Let the vegetables cook on a low flame.
- Once all the vegetables are cooked well, add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Transfer the preparation into a serving bowl and add remaining onions and a lemon slice.
- Serve this dish with pavs toasted in butter.
Additional Tips To Make The Best Pav Bhaji Recipe:
If you want to make the recipe of pav bhaji more delicious, take note of these additional tips to enhance its overall flavor:
- Use lots of butter and Kasuri meth in the preparation of pav bhaji. You can garnish the bhaji with Kasurimethi at the end of the preparation.
- While serving pav bhaji hot, squeeze a lemon to enhance its overall flavor. Your pav bhaji will become tangier.
- Garnish your pav bhaji with chopped coriander to obtain a hint of fresh flavor.
- Instead of using readymade ginger-garlic paste, use freshly homemade paste for a better flavor.
- While toasting a pav, add a little bit of pav bhaji masala to the butter and then toast it.